Ecological and hydrological impacts of the emerald ash borer on black ash forests
This project examines the ecological and hydrological impacts of emerald ash borer on black ash-dominated wetlands throughout the Lake States using large-scale experimental studies documenting impacts of black ash mortality on ecosystem processes, wildlife communities, and evaluating potential mitigation and adaptation strategies under future climate and invasion scenarios. Adaptation strategies being evaluated include the planting of non-host tree species and management techniques to increase levels of compositional and structural complexity within these systems. Work is also generating maps of the distribution of black ash forest habitats to help prioritize areas for conservation and mitigation in the context of emerald ash borer impacts.
- Engelstad, P. S., M. J. Falkowski, A. W. D'Amato, R. A. Slesak, B. J. Palik, G. M. Domke, and M. B. Russell. 2019. Mapping black ash dominated stands using geospatial and forest inventory data in northern Minnesota, USA. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. https://doi.org/10.1139/cjfr-2018-0481
- Diamond, Jacob S, Daniel L McLaughlin, Robert A Slesak, Anthony W D'Amato, and Brian J Palik. 2018. Forested versus Herbaceous Wetlands: Can Management Mitigate Ecohydrologic Regime Shifts from Invasive Emerald Ash Borer? Journal of Environmental Management 222 (2018): 436–46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2018.05.082.
- Looney, C.E., A.W. D'Amato, B.J. Palik, L.E. Frelich, S. Fraver. 2018. Interspecific competition limits the realized niche of Fraxinus nigra along a waterlogging gradient. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 48:1292-1301. DOI: 10.1139/cjfr-2018-0023
- D'Amato, Anthony; Palik, Brian; Slesak, Robert; Edge, Greg; Matula, Colleen; Bronson, Dustin. 2018. Evaluating Adaptive Management Options for Black Ash Forests in the Face of Emerald Ash Borer Invasion. Forests. 9(6): 348-. DOI: 10.3390/f9060348.
- Kolka, Randall K.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Wagenbrenner, Joseph W.; Slesak, Robert A.; Pypker, Thomas G.; Youngquist, Melissa B.; Grinde, Alexis R.; Palik, Brian J. 2018. Review of ecosystem level impacts of emerald ash borer on black ash wetlands: What does the future hold? Forests. 9(4): 179. 15 p. DOI: 10.3390/f9040179.
- Looney, C. E., A. W. D’Amato, B. J. Palik, and R. A. Slesak. 2017. Canopy treatment influences growth of replacement tree species in Fraxinus nigra forests threatened by emerald ash borer in Minnesota, USA. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 47: 183-192.
- Looney, C. E., A. W. D'Amato, B. J. Palik, R. A. Slesak, and M. A. Slater. 2017. The response of Fraxinus nigra forest ground-layer vegetation to emulated emerald ash borer mortality and management strategies in northern Minnesota, USA. Forest Ecology and Management 389:352-363.
- Youngquist, M.B., Eggert, S.L., D’Amato, A.W. Brian J. Palik, Robert A. Slesak. Potential Effects of Foundation Species Loss on Wetland Communities: A Case Study of Black Ash Wetlands Threatened by Emerald Ash Borer. Wetlands (2017) 37: 787-799. DOI: 10.1007/s13157-017-0908-2
- Telander, Andrew C., Slesak Robert A., D'Amato Anthony W., Palik Brian J., Brooks Kenneth N., and Lenhart Christian F. Sap flow of black ash in wetland forests of northern Minnesota, USA: Hydrologic implications of tree mortality due to emerald ash borer. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 06/2015, Volume 206, p.4 - 11, (2015)
- Looney, C. E., A. W. D’Amato, B. J. Palik, and R. A. Slesak. 2015. Overstory treatment and planting season affect survival of replacement tree species in emerald ash borer threatened Fraxinus nigra forests in Minnesota, USA. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 45:1728-1738.
- Slesak, R.A., C.F. Lenhart, K.N. Brooks, A.W. D'Amato, and B.J. Palik. 2014. Water table response to harvesting and simulated emerald ash borer mortality in black ash wetlands, Minnesota USA. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 44(8): 961-968.