Developing historically-consistent and broadly-applicable monitoring, reporting, and verification system for quantifying forest change
Given the increasing impacts of climate change and natural disturbances on forest ecosystems across the US, there is a need for monitoring systems that allow for accurate and rapid detection of historic and future changes in forest area and carbon stocks. This collaborative project between UMN, USFS, and NASA is piloting a Monitoring, Reporting, and Verification (MRV) accounting system that could be used within the context of the National Greenhouse Gas Inventory baseline reporting to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change. To accomplish this, baseline biomass density and historic data about forest change derived from Landsat and LIDAR information are being combined with USFS Forest Inventory and Analysis monitoring system to provide annual estimates of forest C stock and stock change from 1990 to present for several regions of the US. Products include maps and data layers depicting forest change over broad geographic areas and a MRV accounting system for assessing forest area and carbon density.
- Ma, Wu; Domke, Grant M.; Woodall, Christopher W.; D'Amato, Anthony W. 2019. Land Use Changes, Disturbances, and Their Interactions on Future Forest Aboveground Biomass Dynamics in the Northern US. Forests. 10(7): 606. 21 p. https://doi.org/10.3390/f10070606.
- Ma, W., G. M. Domke, A. W. D’Amato, C. W. Woodall, B. F. Walters, and R. K. Deo. 2018. Using matrix models to estimate aboveground forest biomass dynamics in the eastern USA through various combinations of LiDAR, Landsat, and forest inventory data. Environmental Research Letters 13:125004. DOI: 10.1088/1748-9326/aaeaa3
- Engelstad, P. S., M. J. Falkowski, A. W. D’Amato, R. A. Slesak, B. J. Palik, G. M. Domke, and M. B. Russell. 2019. Mapping black ash dominated stands using geospatial and forest inventory data in northern Minnesota, USA. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 49:892-902. DOI: 10.1139/cjfr-2018-0481
- Sass, E. M., A. W. D'Amato, and D. R. Foster. 2018. Lasting legacies of historical clearcutting, wind, and salvage logging on old-growth Tsuga canadensis-Pinus strobus forests. Forest Ecology and Management 419-420:31-41. DOI: 10.1016/j.foreco.2018.03.012
- Wu Ma, Christopher W. Woodall, Grant M. Domke, Anthony W. D’Amato, Brian F. Walters 2018 Stand age versus tree diameter as a driver of forest carbon inventory simulations in the northeastern U.S. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 2018, 48:1135-1147 https://doi.org/10.1139/cjfr-2018-0019
- D'Amato, A. W., D. A. Orwig, D. R. Foster, A. Barker Plotkin, P. K. Schoonmaker, and M. R. Wagner. 2017. Long-term structural and biomass dynamics of virgin Tsuga canadensis–Pinus strobus forests after hurricane disturbance. Ecology 98:721-733.
- Woodall, C.W., B.F. Walters, M.B. Russell, J.W. Coulstaon, G.M. Domke, A.W. D'Amato, and P.A. Sowers. 2016. A tale of two forest carbon assessments: forest Ccver versus use change in the eastern United States. Ecosystems.
- Woodall, C. W., B. F. Walters, J. W. Coulston, A. W. D’Amato, G. M. Domke, M. B. Russell, and P. A. Sowers. 2015. Monitoring network confirms land use change is a substantial component of the forest carbon sink in the eastern United States. Scientific Reports 5:17028.
- Russell, M.B., G.M. Domke, C.W. Woodall, and A.W. D'Amato. 2015. Comparisons of allometric and climate-derived estimates of tree coarse root carbon stocks in forests of the United States. Carbon Balance and Management 10:20.
- Russell, M.B., S. Fraver, T. Aakala, J.H. Gove, C.W. Woodall, A.W. D'Amato, and M.J. Ducey. 2015. Quantifying carbon stores and decomposition in dead wood: a review. Forest Ecology and Management 250:107-128.
- Woodall, C.W., M.B. Russell, B.F. Walters, A.W. D'Amato, S. Fraver, and G.M. Domke. 2015. Net carbon flux of dead wood in forests of the Eastern US. Oecologia 177: 861-874.
- Russell, M.B., A.W. D’Amato, B.K. Schulz, C.W. Woodall, and G.M. Domke. 2014. Quantifying understorey vegetation in the US Lake States: a proposed framework to inform regional forest carbon stocks. Forestry 87: 629-638.
- Russell, M.B., C.W. Woodall, A.W. D'Amato, S. Fraver, and J.B. Bradford. 2014. Technical note: Linking climate change and downed woody debris decomposition across forests of the eastern United States. Biogeosciences 11: 6417-6425.
- Russell, M.B., C.W. Woodall, A.W. D'Amato, G.M. Domke, and S.S. Saatchi. 2014. Beyond mean functional traits: influence of functional trait profiles on forest structure, production, and mortality across the eastern US. Forest Ecology and Management 328: 1-9.
- Russell, M.B., C.W. Woodall, S. Fraver, A.W. D’Amato, G.M. Domke, and K.E. Skog. 2014. Residence time and decay for downed woody debris biomass/carbon in eastern US forests. Ecosystems 17: 765-777.
- Fraver, S., A. Milo, J. Bradford, A.W. D'Amato, L. Kenefic, B. Palik, C. Woodall, and J. Brissette. 2013. Woody debris volume depletion through decay: implications for biomass and carbon accounting. Ecosystems 16: 1262-1272.
- Russell, M., C. Woodall, S. Fraver, and A.W. D'Amato. 2013. Estimates of downed woody debris decay class transitions for forests across the eastern United States. Ecological Modeling 251: 22-31.