Ph.D.: Atmospheric Science, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2014
B.S.: Meteorology, Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, IN, 2009
After earning a degree in meteorology, Alex pursued his doctorate at the University of Michigan, where he explored atmospheric interactions with vegetation in climate and atmospheric chemistry models. With the NE CSC, Alex provided guidance on climate assessments and scenarios to help partners and stakeholders of the Center make informed decisions toward climate change adaptation. Such guidance ranges from climate model selection to translating output to environmental response. As part of this work, Alex explored the utility of downscaled regional climate models for climate change adaptation in the northeast region.
Presentations for NE CASC (not otherwise associated with a specific project)
- Bryan, A. M., 2015. Translating global models to regional and local action: Finding certainty amidst the uncertainty. NOAA Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory. Princeton, NJ. January 20, 2015.
- Bryan, A. M.: West Virginia's Changing Climate: Future Projections, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, 14 Apr 2015.
- Bryan, A. M., M. Staudinger, L. Ning, A. Coletti, A. Karmalkar, R. Bradley, T. L. Morelli, M. Ratnaswamy: Delivering management-relevant climate science in the Northeast, 2015 North Central CSC Open Science Conference, Fort Collins, CO, 20 May 2015.
- Bryan, A. M. and T. L. Morelli: Informing climate change adaptation in the Northeast and Midwest United States: The role of Climate Science Centers, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, 18 Dec 2015.
- Bryan, A. M., NE CSC: Adapting our land, water, wildlife and cultural resources to climate change, Great Lakes Adaptation Forum, Ann Arbor, MI, Oct 5, 2016.
- Bryan, A. M., Gates, Omar (GLISA): Climate Change in the Great Lakes Region, Great Lakes Adaptation Forum, Ann Arbor, MI, Oct 5, 2016.
- Bryan, A. M.: Planning Under Uncertainty: Conveying our Science to Help Managers Move Forward, National Climate Science Centers Student and Early Career Training, Amherst, MA, Nov 3, 2016. (session)
- National Adaptation Forum session co-lead: "Incorporating Future Climate Projections into Adaptation Planning: A Layman's Guide" May 11, 2017.
- Bryan, A.M. "Scenario Planning: Managing for a Range of Possible Futures" NE CSC Regional Science Meeting. May 15, 2017.
- Osgood, M., Bryan, A., Brown-Lima, C., Communicating Climate/Invasion Science, 1st Annual RISCC Management Symposium, 27 July 2017.
- News: Understanding Climate Projections: Guidance for Climate Change Adaptation Planning. April 22, 2015.
ProjectsClimate Assessments and Scenario Planning (CLASP) Using Scenario Planning to Inform Land and Wildlife Management: A Pilot Project for Boreal Forests in the Northeastern United StatesAir Quality Impacts of Climate-Induced Changes on Forest Composition
Adapting the Management of our National Parks for Climate ChangeEvaluation of Downscaled Climate Modeling Techniques for the Northeast U.S.Assisting Tribal Nations with Climate Change AdaptationExtreme Events Impacts on Water Quality in the Great Lakes: Prediction and Management of Nutrient Loading in a Changing ClimateEvaluation of Downscaled Climate Modeling Techniques for the Northeast U.S.: A Case Study of Maple Syrup Production
See All (5 more)